Here we are in the era where alternative healthcare methods are becoming more and more mainstream, especially here in Southern California. We are exercising, juicing, eating organic etc. more than ever. Information about how we can live healthier lives is flooding in, be it through the endless documentaries available to us via Netflix and the like, or through friends and neighbors we know in our lives. We know now more than ever that proper nutrition, exercise and specific care for our own well-being are the new trend in health care. Prescriptions are out, viewed by some as merely band aids covering up the real underlying issues. Prevention is the new medicine.
“I grew up in Mississippi and my family was committed to alternative healthcare. We regularly visited the local chiropractor and would drive hours to the nearest acupuncturist,” says Coppola.
It was only natural she go on to pursue and education in the field. She attended the University of Colorado at Boulder and received a bachelor’s degree in Psychology. Next she went on to earn her doctorate of Chiropractic degree from Southern California University of Health Sciences in 2004. Her plans were to go on and earn her Master’s Degree in Psychology and become a counselor. Her plans changed after a snowboarding accident changed her life. She endured a year’s worth of knee surgeries, three total, and after all of that she was still in a brace.
It was then that she visited a chiropractor, desperate for help. Within weeks she was back to her normal activities, even running.
“It’s as if everything came together at once for me. I realized that there are so many components to our health and our body’s ability to heal,” says Coppola. “I began to think about everything I do including the foods I eat to the thoughts I think…everything affects my body’s ability to be efficient and heal and thrive.”
That was the pivotal time when her course in life was changed, she decided to go to Chiropractic school and specialized in Applied Kinesiology.
She has taken her education and experience to build her practice here in San Clemente. Her approach to treatment is a combination of the essential components to a healthy body.
- Chiropractic, which focuses primarily on the spinal function and its relationship to the nervous system and good health.
- Structural Techniques, where different techniques are used to help adjust the spine and joints back into correct alignment.
- Neuro Emotional Technique, also known as NET, which is a natural way to instantly resolve long-standing health problems that have and emotional component.
- Clinical Nutrition, where Dr. Coppola will assess your blood chemistry and/or related tests to get a better understanding of your biochemical needs and priorities.
- Cranial Sacral Therapy, A soft touch is used to release restrictions in the craniosacral system to improve the functioning of the central nervous system.
- Applied Kinesiology, A form of diagnosis using muscle testing as a primary feedback mechanism to examine how a person’s body is functioning.
As a new patient in Dr. Coppola’s office you can expect to spend approximately one hour.
“It includes a complete health history, complete orthopedic, neurological and physical examination and I’ll do a nutritional examination,” says Coppola. “I listen to your desires and find out what it is you most want to change and improve in your body.”
After your examination, she will help determine the causes that may be creating your symptoms. As a team, you will develop a plan to reduce the pain and correct the causes of imbalance, create a treatment plan tailored especially for you.
Be it your health or business, teaming up always increases your odds for success.
“I feel so fortunate having Debbie help me with my web site,” says Coppola. “Technology is extremely intimidating to me, and I was overwhelmed about making a website and trying to advertise on line. Debbie took me through it all step by step. She listened to what I wanted and asked questions regarding my business, my tastes, and my target market and made it all so easy.”
“Much to my delight, my website was up and running before my doors even opened!”
Here’s to good health and great success!